In grades 3 -5, students have a regularly scheduled library time, when the librarian provides instruction in information literacy skills and guidance in choosing materials.
Students are encouraged to select Reading Counts materials as well as other reading materials. We encourage students to sign out reading materials as they need them. Students are also welcome to use the library outside of this class time at the discretion of their teacher.
Teachers collaborate with the librarian to design lessons that teach content materials as well as information literacy skills.
Information literacy skills taught include, but are not limited to:
- How books are cataloged and libraries are organized
- Ways to locate and research resources on a specific topic
- How to differentiate between opinion, fact, primary/ secondary sources
- How to locate formats of information for bibliographic sources
- How to integrate a variety of print and electronic resources into curriculum-based activities
- Study skills that will enable students to better utilize library resources